For patients
& visitors

Compliments & complaints

At Southend Hospital we aim to provide high quality care for every patient, every time. To do this we want to hear from you when we do well and also when we don't meet your expectations.


All members of staff are very pleased to hear if their care and support has been appreciated. You can pass on your compliments in any of the following ways:

  • Fill in a hospital comment card - available in dispensers throughout the hospital
  • Write to the ward or department directly or patient experience team at the hospital address
  • Write to the managing director
  • Email  


Despite our efforts, there are occasions when you might wish to complain.  

If you are currently receiving treatment in hospital and you have a concern, the first step is to tell the person in charge of your ward or department.  

They will immediately look into your issue and make every effort to put things right, offer you an explanation or put you in touch with the person who is responsible for that aspect of your care. 

If they are not able to resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you can contact our complaints team and ask for a formal investigation into your concerns.

How to contact us

You can contact our complaints team by phone, by email or by letter.  After this, the team will get in touch to advise you on how we will investigate your complaint.


Telephone: 01702 435555 ext 5144 

Address: Complaints team, Southend Hospital, Prittlewell Chase, Westcliff-on-sea, Essex, SS0 0RY

It helps everyone if a complaint is made as soon as possible. This should be within 12 months of deciding that you think there is cause for complaint, but in certain circumstances this time limit can be extended.

Complaining on behalf of a friend or relative

If you would like a friend or a relative to make the complaint on your behalf we will need your written agreement before we are able to take the matter further. The complaints office will be pleased to give advice in the event that the patient is unable to give consent for the matter to be investigated. 

Please click below for a copy of the Complaints Leaflet which outlines the NHS complaints procedure and how it works.

Complaints procedure and how it works

Independent help and advice

If at any stage in your complaint you would like free, independent help or advice you should contact your local health advocacy service.  

If you live within Southend borough, health advocacy is provided by Healthwatch Southend.  You can contact them on 01702 416320 or by email 

If you live outside the Southend borough, health advocacy is provided by POhWER and you can contact them on 0300 456 2370 or visit the POhWER website

What to do if you are still unhappy

If you are still unhappy, we can reinvestigate your concerns and the details of how we will do this are detailed in the 'Following our complaint investigation' leaflet.

Alternatively, you can contact the parliamentary and health service ombudsman through their website Health Service Ombudsman website