Join us

Healthcare in the UK

Registering with a doctor

When you come to the UK you will need to register with a doctor in the area where you live, in order to access National Health Services (NHS).

When you have registered you will receive a personal NHS number on a card. You need to keep this number safe. You will need it when you visit the doctor or dentist.

All overseas members of staff and their families are strongly encouraged to have Health Insurance, particularly if their country has no reciprocal health care arrangements with the United Kingdom. This is in case specialist hospital treatment is required for which they may not be eligible under the terms of the NHS.

Registering with a dentist

You can register with a dentist in the same way as you register with a doctor. You firstly need to find a dentist in your area. You then need to ring them and check that they offer NHS treatment and ask them to put your name on the list.

You can also contact NHS Direct on +44 (0)845 46 47 to ask them which dentists in your area are accepting NHS patients.

You will need to tell the dentist your NHS number if you have one.